The Royal Ballet School is one of the world’s greatest centres of classical ballet training which for generations has produced dancers and choreographers of international renown, including Margot Fonteyn, Anya Linden, Kenneth MacMillan, Lynn Seymour, David Wall, Antoinette Sibley, Anthony Dowell, Marguerite Porter, Stephen Jefferies, Darcey Bussell and Jonathan Cope.
And now there’s a new generation making its mark on the world stage, all of whom trained at the Royal Ballet School – Lauren Cuthbertson, Steven McRae, Edward Watson, Christopher Wheeldon and Liam Scarlett to name but a few.
Admission to the School is based purely on talent and potential, regardless of academic ability or personal circumstances, and 89% of current students rely on financial support to attend the School.
The School offers an eight-year carefully structured dance course, aligned with an extensive academic programme, giving the students the best possible education to equip them for a career in the world of dance.
Our mission is to train and educate outstanding classical ballet dancers for The Royal Ballet, Birmingham Royal Ballet and other top international dance companies, and in doing so to set the standards in dance training, nationally and internationally.
- Check the School term dates »
- Find out about our full-time courses at White Lodge and Covent Garden »
We aim to:
- Provide artistic and academic training of the highest possible calibre, offering all students of the School a positive learning experience which is constantly monitored for potential improvement
- Provide that training in a caring and nurturing environment
- Achieve recognised accreditation for the vocational curriculum
- Offer students as many performing opportunities as possible
- Ensure every student has close practical and artistic access to Royal Ballet companies
- Maintain a high employment rate of graduating dancers, with many being recruited to The Royal Ballet or Birmingham Royal Ballet
- Expand the international exposure of the students of the School
- Run an extensive audition and outreach programme